Kinzua Bridge – PA


Originally advertised as the “Eighth Wonder of the World”, the Kinzua Bridge was built in 1882 and was, for a while, the tallest and longest railroad bridge in the world at approximately 301 feet high and 2,053 feet long. The bridge was improved upon several times over the years for safety reasons until it was finally put out of commission in 1959.

The bridge and some adjoining land was purchased by the state in 1963 in order to create the Kinzua Bridge State Park. The park opened to the public in 1970, and the bridge was placed on the National Historic Register of Places in 1977. In 1987, sightseeing trips were offered that ran from Kane, PA through the Allegheny National Forest and across the bridge and back to Kane. The trips and pedestrian traffic were suspended in 2002 after it was determined that many of the steel beams were completely rusted through.

In 2003, the bridge was heavily damaged by a tornado which completely destroyed several sections. A portion of the bridge that remained was eventually restored and repaired, including the addition of an observation deck and glass floors, and the area was reopened to visitors in 2011.

<< Back to Images List


State: Pennsylvania
County: McKean
Latitude: 41° 45′ 37″
Longitude: -78° 35′ 18″
Links: