Wilson Dam – AL
The federal government began construction on Wilson Dam in 1918 for the purpose of supplying power to two Muscle Shoals nitrate plants. Construction was completed in 1924 at a cost of $46.6 million and incorporated Roman and Greek themes.
The Tennessee Valley Authority acquired the dam in 1933. The bridge is one mile long, spanning the Tennessee River between Lauderdale County and Colbert County. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1966.
The dam and the lake were the primary subjects of two Drive-By Truckers songs, “Uncle Frank” and “TVA”.
This photo includes the 300 foot Renaissance Tower from which one can see 40 miles.